segunda-feira, 8 de novembro de 2010

At home in Montevideo

So far, as in all big cities I've been staying, there is always someone to welcome me. In Montevideo I didn't know a soul, but there was a guy from Peru (thank you David!) that a friend who knew another guy that lives in Montevideo, so that was it. He went to the bus station to pick me up. As he is both a History and theater teacher, and there was a play with the kids happening that afternoon, we just went home to leave my stuff and went strait to the school, in the surroundings of the city.
That was a cool experience, as this is a program that uses theatre as an intervention method in the society in order to integrate the kids. After the play there was a party with all the groups from Montevideo, in the center.

On the next day, as he couldn't come, his father and 12 year old brother were my tourist guides, taking me to the main points of Montevideo. It is a lovely city, much more to the scale I am used to in Lisboa, with less people and space to walk around. Even the buildings remind me of Portugal, in a strange mixture of Lisboa with some cities in Algarve like Faro and Tavira. I was also lucky with the weather, a beautiful sunny day, that is perfect to go with the colorfull buildings.
And don't forget to eat a Chivito if you go to Uruguay! It is a typical food they have here, kind of like hamburger but with a very soft steak and lots of things inside (your choice), always with fried egg and mozzarella on the top.

The cultural offer is also amazing! In a Saturday night, there were so many plays to choose from, all with late night sessions and invinting prices. We went to a play called "Rescatate", a social critique from an uruguayan author, Gustavo Bouzas, that I absolutely loved. So so good. The text, the actors, all the scenography... really an amazing play.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário